Five Ways to Disobey God
Text: Hebrews 5:8-9; 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
Introduction: These two passages point out the importance
of obeying God and results of disobeying Him. Today, I
would like for us to look at five ways in which people
disobey God, so we can be aware of this. So that we can
better able to obey God.
I. We may do what He has forbidden us to do.
A. Some examples in the Bible.
1. Adam and Eve did that. Genesis 3
2. Lot’s wife did that. Genesis 19:17-26
3. Jeroboam did that. 1 Kings 12:29
4. The young prophet did that. 1 Kings 13
1. Fornication. Galatians 5:19-21; 1 Corinthians
2. Stealing. Ephesians 4:28
3. Refusing to submit to the powers that be. Romans
II. We may refuse or fail to do what He has commanded.
A. Some Bible examples:
1. Jonah. Jonah 1:2
2. Saul. 1 Samuel 15:2-3, 9, 11
B. 1 John 2:4
1. Acts 2:38
2. Colossians 3:8-9, 12-14
III. We may add to His word.
1. Proverbs 30:5-6
2. Matthew 15:9
3. Revelation 22:18
4. 2 John 9
1. Organizations larger than the local church.
IV. We may take from His Word.
1. Deuteronomy 4:2
2. Revelation 22:19
1. Number of times have the Lord’s Supper.
V. We may substitute for His word.
A. Bible examples:
1. Cain substituted in his worship. Genesis 4:3
2. Nadab and Abihu did also. Leviticus 10:1f
3. Naaman in 2 Kings 5 wanted to substitute rivers.
B. Plan of Salvation.
Conclusion: We need to be careful lest we disobey God in one
of these five ways listed or in some other way. God is dear
unto us and is very Good to us. But He demands that we Obey
Him in everything.
Honesty and sincerity is necessary and so we must be honest
and sincere. But this is not enough. God does not “wink at
ignorance.” Acts 17:30
We must Know the will of God and we must Do His will. Always
be sure you know what He would have you to do and be willing
to do it.
Top of the page